Today’s Jets Twit Directory Links May 25, 2012
Post Header Text
- The Five Greatest Jets Of The 2000s
In light of TOJ Editor-In-Chief Joe Caporoso’s absence, the weekly 12 pack will be put on hold until next Friday. For today, we have a special request from TOJ Twitter frequenter Tommy Lessman to breakdown the five greatest New York Jets from the year 2000 on. Honorable Mention Vinny Testaverde – Although Testaverde is [...]
- A Guide to Handling Tebowmania
Florham Park, N.J.- Let’s face it, many of you are already sick of the all-Tebow everything extravaganza. You’re also probably sick and tired of the sensationalism that has taken over sports media in general, specifically the New York sports media. As with any disappointing truth, the best way to make peace with it is by [...]
- What I think…. Jets Quick Hits 5/25th
- Feeling the Tremors of the NFL Offseason – Part 2
Turn On The Jets Assistant Staff Writer Mike Donnelly breaks it down with Part 2 of his NFL Offseason Review, as graded by the Richter Scale. In case you missed Part 1, be sure to check it out Here, for a full explanation of each category. Also, make sure you are following Mike on twitter: @TheMikeDonnelly, along [...]
- Jets Teammates Taunt Tebow with “Lolo!” Chants in Locker Room
- OTA Recap: New and Notes from Jets Organized Team Activities
The New York media, Twitter and consequently, the Jets fan base got an sneak preview of the team today as the first week of Organized Team Activities concluded with an open practice. If you weren’t around to follow the action on Twitter you’ve come to the right place, as I have compiled all the Tebow [...]
- New York Jets Fact Or False: Run Game Edition
One of the most intriguing New York Jets story lines heading into the summer is whether or not the Jets will be able to, once again, establish themselves as an elite rushing offense. During Rex Ryan’s first two seasons as Head Coach of the Jets, they were ranked 1st and 4th in rushing offense, respectively. [...]
- Quick take on QBs, Hill’s vertical speed, etc.
Observations on OTA No. 3 (the first session open to the media):
1. Yes, Mark Sanchez outplayed Tim Tebow. So what? It’s only May, and it’s only OTAs. In the big picture, this means very little. It’s almost laughable how some have jumped to conclusions. Chill, people. Frankly, Sanchez should outplay Tebow because he’s a better thrower of the football and, with no live pass rush, that’s all they’re doing — throwing.
2. There were some dropsies in the early portion of team drills.
- Jets’ Mark Sanchez’s Agent Tweets “Mark is a Franchise QB and Tim is a Great Athlete”
- ‘Te-bow! Te-bow! Te-bow!’
When Tim Tebow walked into the locker room Thursday, with a crowd of reporters already camped out at his locker, his teammates sensed the moment — a massive scrum/news conference — and sounded off.
“Te-bow! Te-bow!” several players chanted.
A couple of players were creative and yelled out, “Lo-lo! Lo-lo!” That was a reference to U.S. hurdler Lolo Jones, who recently told HBO’s “Real Sports” that she doesn’t believe in premarital sex. Tebow, a devout Christian, shares that sentiment.
- Tebow backs ‘Tebowing’ HS student
Tim Tebow said he was vaguely familiar with the story of Chuck Shriner, the Ft. Myers, Fla., high-school student temporarily denied his diploma because he “Tebowed” on stage during his graduation ceremony.
Tebow backed Shriner.
“I don’t think his diploma should be withheld,” he said. “I think it was probably something a lot of people laughed at. I don’t know that it was necessarily appropriate, but I definitely think he should be able to graduate.
- Missing: Holmes, Cromartie and Landry
WR Santonio Holmes, CB Antonio Cromartie and S LaRon Landry didn’t participate in Thursday’s OTA session for various reasons.
Holmes was off to Germany on a good-will trip, visiting U.S. troops over the Memorial Day weekend, according to the team. On Wednesday night, he was still in town, as he was spotted at a Red Bulls soccer game in Newark, N.J. In fact, he was shown on the scoreboard — and promptly booed by the crowd.
Cromartie simply skipped the session to be with his family over the holiday weekend, the team said, stressing the workouts as voluntary.
- Bell Thinks He’ll Be a Great Fit
Former Dolphin S Wants to be a Playmaker with the Jets
- Tebow Working on Drops and Rhythm
Former Heisman Trophy Winner Practiced in front of Urban Meyer
- Sanchez Learning the Language
Jets QB is in Sparano’s Classroom
- 45 Pictures of Jets OTA’s 5/24
- Yeremiah Bell: Jets were ‘right fit’
FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — After spending eight seasons with the Miami Dolphins, four of which were under then-head coach Tony Sparano, Yeremiah Bell is happy to feel wanted by his team.
“When I visited here, they made me feel like I would be welcomed here. They took a big interest in me and it seemed like [...]
- 5/24 Coach Ryan OTA News Conference
Coach Rex Ryan discusses 2012 OTA’s.
- What I think…. Jets Quick Hits 5/24th
- Video: First look at Tebow with Gang Green
- Part 2: Flight Crew Auditions presented by JetBlue
Part 2 of 2 with the 2012 Jets Flight Crew Auditions presented by JetBlue. Watch to see how the squad is formed through the final round from MetLife stadium.
- W2W4: First OTA open to media
The Jets already have two OTA practices in the books, and the third — Thursday — is open to the media. On the agenda in Florham Park:
• 10 a.m. to noon — Practice
• Noon to 1 p.m. (approx.) — Player availability in the locker room
• 2:45 p.m. to 3:05 p.m. — Rex Ryan news conference
Three stories we’ll be following:
1. Tim Tebow: What, you expected something on the fullback situation? This will be our first glimpse at backup QB on the practice field.
- NFLN: Listen in to Tim Tebow at Jets practice
Listen in and watch Tim Tebow at Jets practice Thursday.
- LIVE: Jets OTA 5/24 Coverage
- Video: Jets’ Tim Tebow Tebowing in Madden 13′
- Why Do You Hate The Jets? NFC East Edition, Part II
Previously at Turn On The Jets, we reviewed which teams in the AFC East had the right to speak out against the Jets, who had some room to run their mouths, and who should just shut up. As part of our Why Do You Hate The Jets? series, we looked at the first part of [...]
- The Sanchize Tweets Fans while Hanging with the US Navy
- Catching up with the life of Bryan
Early in his career, Bryan Thomas used the tease the old guys on the team, players like Vinny Testaverde, Mo Lewis and Marvin Jones. Now Thomas it getting is thrown back at him because he’s the old guy — 33 on June 7. He was drafted in 2002, making him the longest-tenured Jet.
And he doesn’t mind the razzing one bit; the grizzled outside linebacker is just glad to be here. After tearing an Achilles’ tendon last season in Week 4, Thomas wondered if he’d be back, especially since he was in the final year of his contract.
- ESPN experts project Jets in 2015
Anybody can formulate power rankings, but it takes vision to rank teams three years into the future.
But that is precisely what we have here, as ESPN analysts Trent Dilfer, Mel Kiper, Gary Horton and Matt Williamson put their crystal balls together to predict the NFL in 2015.
Our four experts ranked the 32 teams, basing their evaluations on five categories — roster, quarterback, draft, coaching and front office. The Jets are ranked No. 16. Here’s Dilfer’s take on the quarterback situation:
“I still love the potential and talent of Mark Sanchez, but this situation is bordering on toxic.
- Feeling the Tremors of the NFL Offseason – Part 1
In a two part column, Assistant Staff Writer Mike Donnelly rates the NFL Offseason using a Richter Scale system. Be sure to check back Friday for Part II. – CG While lying in bed and flipping through the channels the other night, I came across a Discovery Channel show about earthquakes (not the wrestler, unfortunately) [...]
- Linemates Happy To Add Coples
Jets Have Versatility, Options Up Front
- Jets Makes Some Roster Moves; Sign FB Vakapuna, Release Jones, Smith
According to a source, the Jets will sign free agent fullback Fui Vakapuna to a one-year deal today. Manish Mehta of the New York Daily News has confirmed the source, but the team has yet to announce the signing. The financial details of the signing are not known at this time, but I will update [...]
- Tim Tebow “Tebowing” Madden 13 Screen Cap
- Jets set to add free-agent FB
Now the Jets have two “Hard Knocks” stars at fullback.
Joining incumbent John Conner is former Bengal Fui Vakapuna, who is expected to sign with the Jets, a source confirmed. Vakapuna, a seventh-round pick of the Bengals in 2009, was one of the featured “long shot” players in the 2009 “Hard Knocks” series. The following summer, of course, Conner received considerable air time as a rookie in the Jets’ training camp.
Vakapuna has no NFL game experience (he also has spent time with the Colts and Cards), but the Jets wanted to add competition at fullback.
- What I think…. Jets Quick Hits 5/23
- Jets Hit the Links at Trump National
Green & White Help Raise Over $300K for Charity
- Can Kenrick Ellis Finally Move On Following His Legal Resolution?
Yesterday, New York Jets defensive lineman, and former 3rd round pick, Kenrick Ellis pleaded guilty to assault and battery charges that have been stemming from a 2010 incident at Ellis’s former place of education, Hampton University. According to his attorney, Ellis will likely serve 45 days in a Virginia prison beginning on June 15th of [...]
- Safety trio struggles vs. pass
The signing of former Dolphins S Yeremiah Bell has fueled debate on whether the Jets are leaving themselves vulnerable because they have too many “in-the-box” safeties and no “coverage” safeties. Bell and LaRon Landry are the projected starters, with Eric Smith coming off the bench.
Statistically, there’s reason to be concerned, as Bell and Smith were among the worst in the league last season in pass coverage, according to the stats-based web site ProFootballFocus.
- How Yeremiah Bell Fits In With The Jets
Heading into the offseason, the New York Jets most obvious need, along with Right Tackle, was undoubtedly the Safety position. To say the Jets were poor in this part of their secondary last year would be an understatement, and in a division where you face two of the NFL’s top tight ends, in Rob Gronkowski [...]
- Monday Mailbag: The Safeties, Shonn Greene and Hayden Smith
I received a ton of great questions for this week’s mailbag, including two on the Yeremiah Bell signing. I’ve combined them below, and the safety position is the focus of this week’s mailbag. You can submit your questions for next week’s mailbag to me on Twitter, @kristinereese. Do you like the Bell signing? He’s another [...]
- Stock Watch: New York Jets Edition
In a new column, Mike Donnelly examines the stock value of New York Jets players, coaches, and personnel. For his inaugural piece, he takes a look at who he’d buy and sell as the Jets head into June. Be sure to follow Mike on twitter @TheMikeDonnelly. -CG Recently, I was at a family function and [...]
- Bell’s addition can solidify 46 defense
With the additions of Yeremiah Bell, LaRon Landry, Josh Bush and Antonio Allen late in the draft last month, the Jets have made a concise decision to put a stop team’s beating them with their tight ends.
In the past the Jets have been among the bottom in the league as far as defenses against the [...]